Monday, August 23, 2010

The N-Word


This word is still a topic of conversation and controversy today. Who can say it? Why can't I say it if you say it? Can a word be restricted to one race? These questions have once again been brought to the forefront, thanks to a well-known talk show host.

Last week, during a conversation with an black female caller,  Dr. Laura Schlessinger, who is white, said the N-word multiple times. And by N-word, I mean nigger. Now, she wasn't calling anyone a nigger, she was referring to black comics' use of the word. Since then, Dr. Laura has announced that she will not continue her show when her contract is up this year. Still, her "rant" has brought the word, its meaning, and its use back to the forefront.

I understand words have meanings and this word definitely has a long history. But it's 2010! We have our first black President [half] and are supposedly in a post racial America. Surely this word has taken on a new meaning by now... right? Depends on who you ask I guess?

When called the N-word, I've heard people say they would react in different ways. Some say that if a non black person said that to them that person would be carried away on a stretcher. Others argue that a word has as much power as you give it. By answering to this word, you are giving it and that person power. And some are desensitized to the word and shrug it off as if it were meaningless.

I'll admit, I'm guilty of using this word (mainly the -ga version). But, I have some rules and regulations to how I use it.

  • Only use it amongst peers (20 something's) that are African-American only - I don't want younger people using it, I don't want to disrespect older folks who may have actually lived in a time where all they were called was the N-word, and I don't want other races using it. If they don't hear me use it, they can't use the excuse "Well, you say it, so why can't I?"
  • Only use it when it's used by someone else first - I can gauge by reactions if that word will be acceptable during the conversation. I don't go overboard with it too(2-3x max)
  • Use it when I mean it - this is the only time I feel anyone can use the N-word is when they really mean it. In my opinion, if a person is acting real ignorant and stereotypical, I may say, "your acting like a N-word" (i.e. Waka Flocka).

But that's just me. When I hear this word used by other's of a different race, images of Emmett Till come to mind. It's definitely not being hypersensitive to feel strongly towards the usage of this word. The history of this word is ugly, and honestly, it's use should be deaded (I'm cutting back). If you don't want someone to use this word, and you hear them use it, check them. That's a big problem with our generation today, we see people doing wrong or acting out and nobody wants to correct them. Where's the sense of community (good topic)?

For those still asking, "I'm not black, why can't I say it?" Well guess what, you actually can. Here's the only time a non black person can say the N-word.  Still want to say it? Try this, go to where a group of black people are and pull a Jackie Chan.

So why do you still say the N-word? Should a word be restricted only to one race, and do you think Dr. Laura should quit her show for what she said?

- B

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only times I say the N-word is when I'm joking around with someone (of the same race of course), and I never actually use the real word, but a form of it like "nyica, nicaa" or something like that just to play around. Even though I think the context in which the word is used today within black society is light hearted and hurtless,I think your right in that the word is still very sensitive for those who lived through the civil rights movement; especially when used by people of other races-towards us- because in that case usually the context is derogatory. I mean, I wouldn't go around calling white people "cracker" and not expect someone to get offended, so why would they feel they could do the same without fault?
And yeah she should be fired, she knows better and was extremely unprofessional.

Anonymous said...

The only time I can say the word is when I'm talking about it, like we are right now. Other than that, it serves no purpose in my life.

Let me ask you.. how is it that 20 somethings can use the word yet younger kids can't? Where do you think they learned the word from, and where and when did you learn the word? I imagine it was sometime before you're 20th birthday.

R. said...

I have no problem with the "n" word as I use it from time to time myself, however there are boundaries to who, when and where to use it. Due to the history of the "N" word, it should not be used without knowing the history of the word. Speaking or acting without knowledge can be detrimental. For instance in America one may use his finger to gain the attention of a waiter or waitress while dining, but this same gesture could lead to one's arrest in the Philippines. What does this have to do with the "n" word? I'm glad you asked.
Without education and research, we would not know the things we consider normal behavior may be offensive to others. I am in support of children and teenagers NOT using the word, especially considering the present state of education.
How can a child know how and when to use the "n" word, when schools rarely talk about Black History and when they do, majority of our public schools may mention "briefly" of Dr. King's "I Have a Dream" speech? No disrespect to Dr. King and the remarkable march but our history goes beyond this one day. So, until the children, those with a child's mentality and ignorant racist are fully educated of the history of this nation, then the "n" word should only be reserved for those educated individuals. And just to be clear, just because one may hold a degree from a college or university, it will not give them a free pass to use the word in any form be it nigger or nigga, dig!